Why? Why? Why?

Yesterday I whipped out the old, “because mommy is the boss of you!” Why did I do it? Because my son has entered the dreaded WHY stage. It doesn’t matter what the subject is or what I say. He now needs to know why.

The problem with the WHY stage is that every time you provide an answer to the why, they follow it up with another why. I’m quickly realizing that there is a distinct possibility that this is a game I am going to lose unless I take proactive measures and come up with some good becauses.

As a public service to all parents of children in the WHY stage, here are a few of the becauses that I have come up with. Feel free to add your own, because mine aren’t going to last very long at the rate we’re going.

• because your teeth will fall out if you don’t.
  • because Santa wanted to make sure that you really deserve your presents next Christmas.
  • because the bad guys might come and get you if you keep on doing that.
  • because the dinosaurs wouldn’t like it.
  • because you’ll break it.
  • why do you think it is?
  • sometimes there is no why, there only is or is not.
  • because we don’t want to get into an accident and die.
  • wouldn’t you like to watch some TV now?
  • here, have an ice cream cone.
  • Honey, can you pour me another drink?
  • just be quiet and go to sleep.

As you can see, I’m starting to get a bit desperate!

This entry was posted in Conversations with children, Parenthood, Top Lists and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Why? Why? Why?

1. “I dont know we’ll have to google it later”

2. help4yourfamily says:

I like answering a question with a question (because I’m a therapist and that’s what I do best lol). “Why do you think?” The answers are usually highly entertaining.

3. Kathy V. says:

My grandmother always did, “Because it’ll stunt your growth.”

4. Christine says:

Playing the dinosaur card, eh? Brilliant. I will have to remember that one.

5. galpod says:

Try giving a long boring lecture (you might have to look up some facts). If you do a couple of those, he’ll think twice before asking 🙂

6. Because the voices in Mommy’s head said so.

🙂

7. Ugghhh! I don’t envy you that stage! I’m glad we’re finally out of it!

I have nothing to add to your list of answers, except to say “Because I’ll drop your butt off on the side of the road if you ask me ‘why?’ one more time!” Ugghhh!

8. Shel says:

Love your responses! I am fond of “Because I’m the boss of you and I want it that way.” For the tougher questions, a heavy sigh and “Do you really want to know?” often works. That one bought me a few years of explaining where babies come from.

9. magicallymad says:

Sadly, it’s even more difficult when they turn 16 & start asking why.

10. Favorite Auntie says:

Oh boy! This sounds SO much like my nephew, The Middle One. He asks why to EVERYTHING, especially those things he is told he can’t do or something he’s told he can’t have. Here’s one: “Aw, sweetie, you don’t REALLY want to know why. You’re just saying that.” 😉

11. workingmommawithababy says:

My sister drove my dad crazy with this growing up. He could usually buy a few minutes with “why not?”