What Happens When Nobody Fails…

Recently, a teacher in Alberta (that’s in Canada folks) got suspended for giving grades of zero on assignments that students did not hand in. Hmmmm…. zero work = zero marks. Makes sense to me. But apparently some namby pamby pack of idiot school administrators were more concerned about students not feeling bad than they were about raising members of society who actually have something resembling a work ethic.

Ms. Wente over at the Globe and Mail sums it up nicely in her own way. You can read it for yourself, so I don’t need to repeat what she says. Thankfully the backlash has been against the idiot administrators and not the teacher.

I’m really hoping this no zero policy (and those equally stupid no fail policies) disappears before I get my kids into school or I’m going to be forced to shell out the big bucks for a school where my kids can face failure, humiliation, obstacles to overcome, opportunities to lose, and serious consequences for not meeting expectations. If they are going to feel good about themselves, I want it to be based on something real, like character that they’ve developed and actual accomplishments, instead of handouts for doing dick all.

This entry was posted in Education, Parenthood and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to What Happens When Nobody Fails…

1. Elizabeth says:

Oh my God. When did people become such wusses? I would be so fucking pissed if I found out that my kid was receiving good grades for work HE DIDN’T EVEN DO. This teacher did the right thing; it wouldn’t even occur to me for a teacher to do anything BUT this. Makes me sad for the kids who are getting shafted by being allowed to skate through life. What a miserable future for them.

2. galpod says:

It’s ridiculous. You know what the worst part is? That they are coming into university later on and they don’t stand a chance. It’s sad to see 19 year olds who are just realizing that they can’t finish a degree, because they’ve been told all their lives that they can do whatever they want (and they took it to mean that they can do whatever they want without working for it).

3. help4yourfamily says:

I nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger award. Please check out my post for more details 🙂

4. As a teacher, this bugs me immensely. I don’t know how it is legit to award students for doing nothing. Our district has been discussing a 4 point policy (students could only receive a grade of 4, 3, 2 or 1 – no zeros). Thankfully, they dropped the discussion.

• Teaching sounds like a tough job. Balancing a huge class of students with varying abilities, balancing parent expectations (or lack of), balancing grading and marking and home life, and balancing administrative policies. I’m not envious. Glad to hear your school hasn’t made this insane move.

5. semiblind says:

Reblogged this on …said the blind man… and commented:
    This is something worth considering: Children need to fail. It’s good for them. (Thanks to Robin for bringing this up…)

6. unfinishedbizness says:

First of all – my fiance works at a high school that implements the No Fail policy.. the kids get Incomplete on their progress reports until they make whatever work up that they didn’t do. It’s absolutely ABSURD! These same kids walk around the school like they own the place and have no respect for authority… they’ve been stricken with the Entitlement disease. Somehow being alive has entitled them to do whatever the hell they want, whenever the hell they want… amazing.

Now, the real reason I stopped by your blog today was to tell you that I nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award 🙂 I see by the comments it’s not your first one this week, so you clearly ROCK! Check out my post for the details http://unfinishedbizness.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/passing-along-some-sunshine/

7. lexiesnana says:

My daughter is a teacher and mother of four and she tells me all the time that kids need to learn how to be accountable for their actions and that means in homework and life.Loved this post

8. It is about as ludicrous as everyone gets a trophy just for participating in a team sport!