Physical inactivity is now the fourth leading cause of death around the world. A. Coyne, National Post
Just when you thought you had child proofed your entire home, a new series of studies published in a British medical journal revealed the mortal dangers of sitting. Yes, you read that correctly. Sitting is dangerous. The more sitting you do, the more dangerous it gets.
In the interest of saving lives, I have put together a list of ways you can cut down on this hazardous activity.
- Purchase one of those bar height tables and stand for meals. Smaller children can stand on stools.
- Remove all of the couches from your living room. Either stand to watch tv or lie down. This will likely cut down on the excessive tv watching that you don’t admit to doing.
- Instead of reading to your child in the lazyboy chair, have them act out the story as you read it.
- If you work at a desk, put your keyboard on top of a file box to do all of your typing. It’s not pretty, but it may save your life.
- Stand at the back of the movie theatre (or the front). This has the dual effect of cutting back on sitting and dieting since it’s really difficult to hold your drink and eat popcorn.
- No more long road trips. If it’s not close to home, then don’t go. This one is a win for everyone (except the grandparents across the country). Avoid deadly sitting, no chance of a car accident, less pollution, no long trips trapped in a car with a bunch of whining children!
Saving lives is as easy as standing up!
If you want to read the actual article in National Post, it’s right here.