Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas. I just don’t love everything about Christmas. Some of the things I don’t love (and might even hate)…
- Shopping Malls in December (I believe I’ve mentioned this before!) People get crazy and spend money they don’t have. People get stressed out about finding the perfect gift. I’m a simple gal, if you feel compelled to buy me something (although please don’t – except if you’re my husband, then please get me something I’ve hinted at) then I’m happy with a gingerbread cookie, a dark chocolate bar, or a little bag of Doritoes! I might even get the rest of my shopping done online just to avoid the malls. I buy for my kids, my husband, and my nieces and nephews. That doesn’t mean I have no love for anyone else, it just means that my love for you doesn’t exceed my hatred of having to go shopping.
- All that sugary junk! Yes, I like sugary junk, but I hate how it’s always in my face over the holidays. Who are these baking fiends and what can we do with the boatloads of sweets they produce? I say, donate them to the soup kitchens and homeless shelters. Don’t make me eat it all, I’ve got enough fat on me to live off of for a year already.
- Candy Canes. Sure they look pretty, all green, red and white, hanging from fir trees. But then your kid gets ahold of them and you end up with random sticky patches all over the house, little crumbly sticky bits in the furniture, and sugar highs that turn your angels into mini meth-head demons.
- Kid’s begging for presents. I know we bring this on ourselves when we ask them what they want. We really need to start asking them what they want to give instead. So far, this has gone over like a lead balloon. But hey, maybe we get them a lead balloon for Christmas this year!
- Secret Santa gift exchanges. Screw secret Santa! I’m trying to cut back spending and set a budget for family gifts and you’re telling me to buy something nice for someone I neither know nor care about. Nothing makes me feel Scroogier than Secret Santa.
- People who don’t want you to say “Christmas.” It is bloody Christmas already folks, just because I say “Merry Christmas” to you, doesn’t mean I have some racist, or anti-other-religious agenda. If you want to say “Happy Hanukkah” or “Festive Solstice” to me, I’d be tickled that you thought of wishing me well on a sacred holiday. I don’t expect that you celebrate the same holiday as I do, but excuse me if I want to extend good wishes to you. In fact, never mind, if you’re the sort to get your knickers in a knot over the word “Christmas” then I’m not extending good wishes to you anyhow. So there!
- Home-made eggnog. I’m sure someone out there can make home-made eggnog just fine, but I’m always going to prefer the store bought stuff. With rum.
There you have it, things I hate about Christmas. See, it’s not a long list. There are lots of things I do love, and I may even share them in some future post.