Rejection Never Felt So Good

Just before the holidays I took a day, cleaned up four children’s story manuscripts that I had lying around (in my laptop files), pulled together a kick-ass query letter, and sent them off to a couple of publishers.

One week later, I saw my self-addressed stamped envelope in the mailbox. What the hell?! One week? That’s like the speed of light in the publishing world.

I opened it up and saw my masterpiece of a query letter and thought, “Damn! Too lazy to send a form letter are we?”

And then I saw it. A handwritten note in the bottom corner. HAND WRITTEN! Some editor, whose name was completely illegible, had taken the time to write something with a pen!

Then, two weeks after that amazing event, I received another of my self-addressed stamped envelopes in the mailbox. It felt like Christmas! It was actually Christmas, but it felt like postal Christmas!

I opened it up and saw the last three of my masterpiece query letters, all with handwritten notes from the same illegibly named editor. Personal feedback in pen ink!

No, I am not getting published. But I did get actual input from an editor, who shall remain nameless because I can’t make out what it was. Although my little stories have been rejected, it still feels great that I got an actual personal response with brief suggestions on how to improve and a compliment to my good writing skills. Rejection has never felt so good!

This entry was posted in Writing/Blogging and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Rejection Never Felt So Good

1. jascribbles says:

Was it all the same person? That’s quite cool. A personal response. 🙂 Many people just get crickets.

Jenna

2. Teresa Cleveland Wendel says:

It truly is impressive to get a hand-signed rejection. It beats the round file which is where most manuscripts go.

3. rossmurray1 says:

Nice. I especially appreciate the quick turnaround. I had to wait three months for my last rejection, and that was AFTER she’d asked to see the full manuscript!

4. momtimes4 says:

That’s neat! I hope you do get published in the future.

5. Ned's Blog says:

Congrats to you. An editor taking the time to personally write something, no matter how illegible, is a great sign. [Insert applauding and cheering here] 🙂

6. Sandi Ormsby says:

rejection personally, now that’s awesome.

7. Adam S says:

Rock on! I’d call that a break any day of the week. Hope it keeps rollin’ for ya!

8. If at first you dont suceed try and try again. Personal rejection rocks! Well done

9. I still have my first PFO (please f**k off) letter that had a a handwritten scribble on it. I remember that awful period, though, when I first started freelancing and sending queries out, and all those SASEs flowing in… and hating, hating, hating the sight of my own handwriting. Congratulations on the feedback, and persevere! xoxo

10. Way to put yourself out there! You’ve obviously engaged these publishers in some way and that’s a fantastic start. Here’s to personalized acceptance letters on the next set!!