“Lazy parenting creates children who are self-starters.” Leanne Shirtliffe, Ironic Mom
I love parenting advice and techniques that require me to do nothing. It can be a challenge though, because I feel guilt at the drop of a hat, and guilt is a parent’s greatest motivator. Leanne’s got a great point her; when you stop entertaining your kids they start entertaining themselves. My kids have come up with some great games when I’ve ignored them.
- Crash. Which is kind of like bowling for block towers, or rather throwing stuff at block towers to knock them down.
- Packing bags full of toys for trips to the ‘beach.’
- Garbage. Dumping all the small toys into one big bin.
- Making a huge mess. I’m sure they think this is a game.
- Rolling stuff down the stairs.
Now I just have to find a way to feel guilty about doing something rather than about doing nothing. But first I have to go play hide and seek – I should probably put my coffee in a travel mug for this.
Leanne consistently cracks me up. Probably because she was last year’s funniest blogger in Canada (this year I’m the second funniest and since 2nd is the new 1st we’re equals!) Regardless, you should head over to Ironic Mom and check her out.