Deep Thoughts: When children whine

ImageI think that a good way for parents to encourage their children not to whine is to tell them that every time they do it, a goldfish dies. Goldfish are cheap so you could get a whole bunch in a tank. Every time your child whines, kill one and let it float there so they can see what happens to their pet fish when they whine.

I'm a parent of two lovely (most of the time) children. I work full time out of the home and I don't cook well, bake, sew, or do crafty things. I keep my high heels and jewelry at my office because there's no point in having them at home.
This entry was posted in Deep Thoughts for Parents, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Deep Thoughts: When children whine

1. I feel guilty laughing at this, but DAMN, it’s a good idea!

2. … beginning of new religion…

3. Marie says:

Reblogged this on Fish Tank Mom and commented:
    This made me laugh out loud today – simply had to reblog. It is true laughing is natures best medicine and we often take parenting too seriously – especially in the beginning. To all of you newbie parents in particular this is the best kind of blog for you.

4. Marie says:

Love it – shared it/reblogged. Laughing is good!

5. gavmomof2 says:

You are too funny!

6. motheronedge says:

Love your parenting tips!

7. 321 Equals Six says:

This is funny. Seriously funny. And, I am seriously tempted.

8. sillyliss says:

This is an awesome tip, but what happens if they all die before the child even whines? It could happen!

• What kind of children do you have?! Are you saying they can go the lifespan of a goldfish without ever whining? That’s incredible!

• sillyliss says:

Well, the fish only last for me about a minute apiece. The whining generally starts when the fish dies and then I have nothing to kill in order to end the whining. I guess in that case, I could end the whining by saying that the next person who whines has to sleep with the dead fishes.

• I think the threat of sleeping with a dead fish would also be an effective parenting tool!

9. Devious and evil! I LOVE it! In case you’re getting driven up the wall by children’s TV, I have reviews slamming Dora and Bob, etc. I found it very cathartic.