Happy birthday and sorry about the party

Tomorrow is my daughter’s 3rd birthday. She really, really wants a Dora party. I’m hoping she doesn’t really know what she’s asking for, because all she’s getting is a Dora ice cream cake from DQ and some Dora cups from Safeway. If I’m feeling extra festive tomorrow, I might even see if there’s a Dora balloon or colouring book at the dollar store.

She’ll be getting a Little People doll house that I found at Value Village a few weeks ago. So far, that’s it.

In case you don’t know my views on children’s birthday parties, you can find them here and here.

We have extended family coming for a long visit next week, so what will pass for a party is going to happen on Tuesday after they’ve all arrived.

I’m sorry you won’t have a real party like all your friends my dear girl. It’s just that you won’t remember this one for long and I’m saving my best for stuff that you’ll actually remember as an adult.

This entry was posted in Conversations with children, Holidays and Events, Parenthood and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Happy birthday and sorry about the party

1. rossmurray1 says:

Birthday parties are like funerals; they’re more about fulfilling the needs of the guests than the guest of honour. That comment was a propos of nothing, now that I think about it.

• Or about fulfilling the needs of the party/funeral planner. I hope that my funeral will require as little planning as I put into my children’s parties. Unless one of them is really keen on funeral planning. Then have at it!

2. momtimes4 says:

I think that sounds awesome! She will love the cake. It’s all about the cake here!

3. I like it simple. Pizza, cupcakes, a balloon and just immediate family. Now that the oldest is 7 he wants a “friends” party this year.

4. I couldn’t agree more. I think the Dora cups sound totally festive, and it’s even better that the cake and the cups match!

5. 1tric says:

As long as you keep telling her it’s a dora party she’ll be convinced. Enjoy.

6. My 4 year old was invited to a party at the firehouse by another kid turning 4. Really? I had to teach him the word douche so he could call the kids mom a douche in case she asked him where his party (my son) was going to be. I think what you’re doing is perfect.

• Does his family live at the firehouse? Because that’s the only good reason to have a 4th birthday party there. Be sure to teach your kid the proper usage of the word as well. Improper use of the word ‘douche’ is very douchey.

• I know! I said it because I was repeating it as a kid, but didn’t know what it meant until I was 30! Lol. I don’t want my kids to be those kids on the playground. I found this mom has a website where she’s into crafty stuff and states going overboard for birthdays is her thing or something. I hated her the second I saw her perfect face. Lol.

• I share your distaste of craftiness and birthday overboarding. It just sounds like torture to me.

7. It’s a bummer that we live in a world of comparison and out-doing each other or even ourselves. But it’s really the parents who get caught up in the craze of birthdays. I bet your daughter will love it, especially with Dora cups, and cake!

• I also resent the explosion of grab bags. They’re expensive and unnecessary. And a lot of work. Even though the inevitable judgement for not giving them may sting, I’m still not doing it. My superpower is underdoing stuff. Just call me the Underdoer!

• Comely Miss says:

We made caramel apples for “grab-bags” last year and no one took them. Needless to say, we were all SUPER tired of caramel apples when all was said and done. I won’t do grab-bags again. Waste of time!

8. maria says:

Happy Birthday! We’re birthday twins!
    Still remember seeing your mom at the hospital. We had our last birthday party and went over the top with themes. It was a castle party with a dragon and games and cake and food. It was a lot of work and as you said, probably not worth it for the memories. Some people like the big to-do. I think we’re done with parties. My sister-in-law stopped parties for her kids and letting her kids go to any. They are fully functional kids with less entitlement bull to deal with.

• Anything to crush the spirit of entitlement! Not that I’m completely against parties, I just don’t see the point in stressing myself out about them. I figure, when they’re old enough to do most of the planning – I’ll help.

9. All she needs is that Dora ballon and she’ll be a happy camper. We let our extended family come up with the great gifts too right now. We keep the funds for pull ups and keeping their favorite juice in the house

10. One Funny Motha says:

Exactly. I remember my daughter’s first birthday when people were asking me if I was having Elmo or something. I was like, “She’s one. We’re having cake.” As long as you have the Dora cups & such she will be most happy.