Keeping Keepsakes

I’ll admit it, I am easily one of the least sentimental people out there. Which means that keepsakes are completely lost on me. So when my kids bring home crafts and drawings that “I made just for you, Mommy,” I’m not entirely sure what to do with them.

Naturally I do the initial ooooohing and aaaaaahing over each item. But after the kids run downstairs or outside to play, I’m left holding this stuff with nowhere to store it. Much of it will eventually get filed away under the kitchen sink (UTKS). Some of it ends up as the latest layer of paper on the fridge. I have, on occasion, mailed envelopes of drawings to the grandmothers for them to enjoy and/or deal with.

My son is starting KG in fall and I just know we’ll be getting a whole new level of Made just for Mom items on a weekly basis. I need a plan.

What do you do with the crafts and drawings your kids bring home? Do you file it UTKS? Does it pile up in a corner? Have you built a special storage shed in the back corner of your yard? Is it adding inches to the thickness of your refrigerator door?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Keeping Keepsakes

1. Lorinda says:

Ha, for a minute there I read that you WERE the most sentimental person…had to re-read that one! i remember a tip to parents (I have no idea why it’s filed away in the ol’ brain) suggesting that they put the stuff on the fridge, after a regular interval take a photograph for posterity, remove the items, and start over again. Though it may end up becoming a game to see how quickly they could re-cover the fridge… Missing you! Thanks for your comment yesterday.

2. sillyliss says:

Yep, yep, yep. We have a big pantry cabinet and the lowest three drawers are reserved for art stuff. We save it for a while, then toss a bunch. A few items are sent as presents to unsuspecting victims, er, relatives. And a couple of things are eventually put into a bin I have for each of the girls.

If my mom had saved all the macaroni junk I had as a kid, I think I would be mad at her for making me have to go through it all again in adulthood! 🙂

3. Sarabeth says:

Wrapping paper “From the kids” for gifts.

4. Okay, I may be the crappiest mom ever, but most of it ends up in the garbage or recycling bin and they never notice it is missing. We display them proudly for a week or so and replace it with their newest creation. For the extra special stuff that either we or they get attached to, we bought special boxes for each child that we will fill slowly (hopefully) over the years.

5. I have a friend who takes pictures of it all, and then makes photo books out of it. That way it all stores neatly as a book on a shelf, and she doesn’t have to hold on to the clutter of each individual project.

6. MinivanJen says:

Oops……mine get filed in the trash bin!!! Too much stuff! My daughter makes a new drawing “just for you, Mommy” every day. I would be on the next episode of Hoarders!!

7. I keep them in a box, in the cabinet, the table, everywhere! I used to buy these clearbooks so I can insert them and store them in cabinets but they multiply too fast! I’m also on the same boat as you 😦

8. gikayangel says:

Saw this site, and i thought of this blog… Keeping keepsake in style http://pinterest.com/pin/117515871500287089/

9. Pirate Nurr says:

Save the pieces you really love or the kids are extra proud of in a shoebox, mailing the others to grandparents and other relatives is a great idea. Using them to line the pantry is a great idea too – the kids get to see that you recognize their effort, but beyond that most of it’s just clutter.

My mom saved nearly every decoration or art project my brother and I made in school and when it came time to move… it was a nightmare and there’s no way we would have been offended if something had been thrown out.

Kids want to feel special in the moment of making art for you, but there will always be a next. They’re not monuments, they’re macaroni.