In the quest to make sure my kids don’t turn into media-zombies, I’m always on the lookout for non-video games to add to our collection. Over the years I’ve picked out quite a few games. Some are great, others, not so much.
Then, there are those games the kids love but I’ve grown to dread… I might like them if I could just play with other grown ups, but some games, played with children, just become painful experiences.
In a secondary quest to add more lists to my blog (cuz who doesn’t love a good list), here are some games I love to hate:
- Hungry Hippos – loud, annoying, easily broken
- Candyland – no explanation needed really, what adult actually likes playing this game
- War – it never ends, unless you make it end
- Yahtzee – fine if the kids are old enough to get it, otherwise, just let them roll the die, over and over and over again
- Chess – again, fine if the kids are old enough to get it (the 7yr old is pretty good but with the 5 yr old it’s kind of like the Calvin-ball of board games)
- Memory – this one always ends up in a free for all, and it’s all I can do to keep myself from putting all the pieces back into neat orderly rows
What games do you love to hate? Anything in particular I should avoid picking up this Christmas?